In 1805, William Thompson built the first log cabin in the present
Plymouth Township. Had Plymouth not separated from Ashtabula
Township in 1838, this event probably would have been forgotten as
Thomas Hamilton had built the first log cabin in Ashtabula Town-
ship in 1801. At the time, Nehemiah Hubbard owned Ashtabula
Township which encompassed the present Plymouth Township.
William Thompson did not remain long as Plymouth's first settler.
Thompson moved from the present Plymouth Township in 1807.
Thomas McGahhe also settled and built in Plymouth near the Will-
iam Thompson cabin but he did not remain long either.
Earlier historical sketches often contradict each other. Often a
settler would not be given credit for being the first permanent
settler because he died even though his family and children re-
mained. Even though his wife should have been given a lot of credit
for being an early settler, very little was ever mentioned of her.
Sometimes a settler was not given credit for being the first perma
nent settler because he remained in the township but two or three
years even though he or she might have made easier or more
attractive for other settlers to come into the township.
In 1806, the first permanent settler (or third, take your pick)
settled in the northern portion of Ashtabula Township. His name
was Samuel White. Samuel White also has the distinction of being
the first settler to plant an orchard in Ashtabula Township in 1807
which included the present Plymouth Township at the time. The
orchard contained forty trees and bore fruit four years later in
1811. Almost the entire yield of the orchard's first yield went to the
sick and needy of the township.
The first non-Indian child born (Edmund Burnett) in Plymouth
Township was a son born to Mr. and Mrs. David Burnett.
The first marriage in Plymouth Township is also shared by
Ashtabula City and Ashtabula Township. Miss Julia Hubbard, who
was the first school teacher in what now is Ashtabula City, was the
first bride for the township. Julia Hubbard married Walker Rich-
mond of New York at the residence of her father, Captain Manoah
The first school house was built in the summer of 1810. It was
built of logs and stood in the "hollow" a short distance north of the
present cemetery. The first school teacher was Warner Mann who
taught twelve students the first year. His salary was paid by the
parents each paying a share of the teacher's salary which was a
trifling sum in those days. Can you imagine paying one twelfth of
a teacher's salary today? What history does not record is how many
children from each family attended the school. Just imagine if one
family had six children in the school, would they have to be pay half
the teacher's salary? The first frame school house was erected in
Plymouth Township in 1817.
In 1809, the first saw mill was constructed. Settlers began to
arrive in larger numbers after 1809. The need for a church was
seen. The first worship service held in Plymouth was held in a log
cabin on Seven Hills Road. The service lead to the St. Peter's
Episcopal Church in Ashtabula City. In 1834, a branch of St. Peter's
was organized in Plymouth. A church was built in 1841 but a tornado
destroyed the church building in 1909. A new church was built and
today that church building is a residence. It is the first church east
of Plymouth Elementary School.
The southern portion of Ashtabula Township had grown suffi-
cient enough for the need and want of a separate township. On
July 4, 1838, Plymouth was formed from the southern portion of
Ashtabula Township. In their first election, Samuel Burnett, An-
drew Willey and William Stewart were elected the township's first
trustees. Levi P. Blankeslee was elected Plymouth's first clerk.